29 OCTOBER 2014. Grove Auditorium, Magdalen College
“Colombia at Oxford” is the most important project of the Oxford University Colombian Society to date. Our purpose is not only to foster academic exchange between leading Colombian universities and the University of Oxford, but also to raise awareness about critical issues concerning Colombia, within and outside of national borders. To this end, along with the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana (Bogotá, Colombia) and the Latin American Centre of the University of Oxford, we have organised a one-day conference around the issue of innovation in science, public policy, and culture in Colombia.
Convenor: Julián D. López-Murcia (President of the Oxford University Colombian Society)
Register free at http://colombiaatoxford.eventbrite.com/
(To read more about each speaker, please click on their name below)
8:15 – 9:00 am
9:00 – 9:15 am Words by Professor Eduardo Posada-Carbó (Director of Graduate Studies at the Latin American Centre, Oxford)
9:15 – 9:30 am Words by Father Jorge Humberto Peláez Piedrahita, S.J. (President of the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana)
9:30 – 12:00pm
What are the possibilities of innovation in Science in Colombia?
Chair: Eduardo Posada-Carbó (St Antony’s College, Oxford)
- “Innovation in Science: Leadership and Networks” – Carlos Gómez-Restrepo (Pontificia Universidad Javeriana)
- “Neuroscience-inspired design: A cross-cultural (Anglo-Colombian) perspective” – Charles Spence (University of Oxford)
- “Colombian Science Capacity: Mind the Gap” – Alexandra Olaya (University College London)
- “Isis’ experiences in Colombia supporting global technology commercialization” – Mireya McKee (Isis Innovation, University of Oxford)
12:00 – 1:30 pm Lunch for speakers
1:30 – 3:30 pm
What are the possibilities of innovation in Public Policy in Colombia?
Chair: Isabel Ruiz (Harris Manchester College, Oxford)
- “New School: from innovation to public policy” – Vicky Colbert (Fundación Escuela Nueva)
- “Is there an end to municipal innovation in Colombia?” – Julio Dávila (University College London)
- “Innovation in regulation: the case of quality of service in mobile communications” – Pablo Márquez (Comisión de Regulación de Comunicaciones)
- “How to put money and ideas together – is an innovative policy feasible in Colombia?” – Jaime Sierra (Pontificia Universidad Javeriana)
3:30 – 3:45pm Coffee break
3:45 – 5:30pm
What are the possibilities of innovation in Culture in Colombia?
Chair: Alfonso Moreno (Magdalen College, Oxford)
- “Fantomas versus the multinational vampires”- Oscar Guardiola-Rivera (Birkbeck College, University of London)
- “When technology speaks Spanish: Media Technologies From Latin America” – Andrés Burbano (Universidad de los Andes)
- John Dew (former British Ambassador to Colombia 2008-2012)
Closure: 5:30 – 6:30 pm Concert by Classico Latino
7:00 – 9:00 pm Formal dinner for speakers
Drinks – Everyone welcome 7:30 – 11:00 pm The King’s Arms
The entire event (9:00 am – 6:45 pm) will be recorded in video and audio to then produce a series of short videos that the Oxford University Colombian Society and the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana would like to broadcast on YouTube and include in their websites and social networks.